Requiring a building to house a small ARMY, and as the castles already owned by the Falletti family in the area were ideal residences but afforded little protection, Serralunga represented an excellent choice, thanks to its geographic position which guaranteed a valid defence. The position of the castle also had to allow the transmission of visual signals as part of a network with the neighbouring castles. In 1340 Pietrino Falletti came into possession of the part of the Serralunga ESTATE which had previously belonged to the Marquis of SALUZZO and commissioned the construction of the castle. We neither know the identity of the person who actually designed and built it, nor the exact year of its completion. The FORTRESS strikes visitors immediately for the slenderness and verticality of its Gothic architecture; it is characterised by two towers and is the area’s only remaining example of defensive construction. It is similar to the French “DONJON” and it may well be that it was designed and built by a French architect, given the many transalpine contacts of the Falletti family.